Saturday, September 09, 2006

Gimping Around Firenze

some exciting things have been going on...

let's begin with my broken foot. yesterday i was walking on a little grassy path to talk to some of my friends and i fell over a 4 inch tall curb. it was probably the most embarressing thing of my life but of course i brushed it off and pretended it wasn't a big deal. after chatting with our friends, my roomate and i decided to walk home (about a half a mile walk) and by the time we got home i was sobbing because my foot swelled up and hurt really really badly. my host mom freaked out and took me and my roommate to the emergency room to have my foot xrayed.

we waited for 3 hours in the dirtiest italian hospital (Santa Maria Nuova) ever. finally, they wheeled me away in a wheelchair for xrays. my foot still hurt really badly and but i didn't think it was broken or anything so i was a little annoyed about our wasted time. BUT they discovered that i had a small fracture -- small enough to not hurt badly but big enough to be put in un gesso (a cast) for A WHOLE MONTH. yeah... you heard me right. i've been in italy for FOUR DAYS and have broken my foot and will have a cast for the next month... this should be interesting.

also at the hospital they gave me an injection to help my circulation or something. i was freaking out because my mom and i read in an italian travel book that italian hospitals sometimes re-use their needles and the book had a translation for "is this a new needle." who knew that i'd actually have to whip that line out?!?!

i love my family and my roommate though. they all stayed at the hospital with me and held my hand and hugged me when i was crying about being stuck in a cast. we got home around 9PM and were so exhausted that we had dinner and went to bed. i woke up this morning with literally 30 mosquito bites on me. kike (pronounced "kee-kay" - my host father) said that a bunch of mosquitos from africa called "zanzara tigre" (tiger mosquitos) had recently been flocking to italy from africa... good to know... ugh.

today we trekked back to the hospital and got a permanent cast (the one they gave me yesterday was temporary). my host parents borrowed some crutches from una signora vecchia (an old lady) ... and they MADE me use them. they are the old people crutches that liek connect to your arms. hahahahaha, it was so embarressing -- marilena and i hopped on the bus and headed to the centro to meet friends/have lunch/go shopping. we ate pizza margherita and drank birra at a little out door ristorante. then we shopped.

i bought a dress from a store called ZARA. i figured it was ok to buy another dress because for the next month dresses and skirts are all i can wear since i have this fatty cast on my left leg. ugh. the centro was CRAZY -- millions of tourists everywhere!!! i get a lot of attention for my leg. it's kinda nice but embarressing at the same time. on the bus on the way home an old lady got up and offered me her chair because i was struggling to stand up with my stupid cast on... it was funny.

now we're home and i'm exhausted. i'm not sure what's going on tonight but hopefully i'll be able to go out and keep up with the group!! it's been tough and i'm getting frustrated but don't feel homesick and am trying to hardest to keep moving along!!!

i've taken tons of pictures but can't post them until i get school on monday because at home we use our host family's computer. monday i'll post pictures of my beautiful leg. haha.

ciao tutti!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home