Monday, September 25, 2006

Capri e Anacapri

On Saturday morning I woke up to 8 million mosquito bites, 10 huge ant trails eating the dead bugs on our floor, and our beautiful ocean view… :) Ok so the ants and the bug bites were really gross but I still recommend our hostel to anyone going to Positano! Breakfast was included with our stay and it was fantastic; on the hostel patio we were treated to croissants and Nutella, yogurt, fruit, rolls, and espresso (which I literally drank about 7 shots of because I was really thirsty and drank it as if it was American coffee).

After breakfast we had an emotional goodbye with our “host family.” The four of us were really sad to leave them because they were such welcoming people. Now that I think about it, I’m a little bit sad that we didn’t take pictures with them… maaaan!

Then we trekked back down to the beach where to boats to Capri were docked. Tamara and Marilena both get seasick so we settled on one of the faster boats there (I wanted to take the fastest one because in the picture of it, it literally looked like it was airborne!).

The boat was awesome… seriously, the wind in the hair/beautiful view/perfect weather was breathtaking. I spent most of my time spying on the young Italian couple sitting in front of us. They were totally Dolce and Gabana’d out; D&G jeans, D&G belts, D&G shirts, D&G glasses… PLUS they were both beautiful; I felt like I was looking at a walking D&G ad.

On our way to Capri, Tamara got a phone call from her sister’s husband who had some sort of work involved with hotels and he said that he was friends with a guy that ran one of the 5 star hotels on Capri and that he was going to see if he could get us a room for the night… WHAT?!? We were all freaking out! Unfortunately it didn’t work out because the hotel was totally booked (and I’m not surprised of that in the slightest since the entire island was JAM PACKED with rich tourists). Tamara and Michelle walked to check it out (I stayed behind cuz of my foot) and they said that it was incredibly beautiful; oh well, maybe next time?!

After arriving at Capri we congregated in a little dark ally to discuss our plans for the day. We decided on shopping (Capri is known for its fantastic little boutiques). Unfortunately everything costed bank and since I didn’t have an infinite amount of money to spend all I was able to afford was a 5 euro Italia hat from a souvenir store… hahahaha, i love love love my new hat though and wore it all day!!!

In order to get up to the part of the island with all the shops you had to take the “funiculare,” (basically a tram/elevator that moves people up and down since the island is very cliffy and hilly). The line/mob to get on the funiculare was ridiculous and fortunately Michelle made friends with the people standing in line in front of us and the 6 of us decided to share a cab up to the shopping area.

All the cabs on Capri were convertibles. HOW COOL IS THAT?! The streets in Capri were no different than the streets on the Amalfi Coast and again I felt like we were all going to get flung over the mini barriers on the side of the road and thrown over the cliffs into the ocean; fortunately we survived.

The people we shared the cab with were middle-aged, from Chicago, and had two daughters that had just gotten out of college. The husband was hilarious. At the top of the hill he ended up paying for the whole ride – he was telling us about how his daughters, right out of college, were broke and I think that he felt bad for us since in a few years we’re all going to be broke too. Sad thought, but we were thrilled to have gotten a free ride!

Being in Capri made me feel like I was at Disneyland. Billions of people were everywhere, everyone spoke a different language, the streets were packed, everyone was taking pictures… only difference was that every tourist there looked really wealthy. I found out from my friends that Capri is one of the most expensive places in all of Italia and after being there, I’m definitely not going to argue. At first I was really nervous about being pickpocketed or robbed since it was so crowded and everything I brought for that weekend I was carrying in my backpack on my back, but Marilena pointed out that someone would have to be retarted to rob us… based on the look of all the people there, the four of us were prolly traveling with the least valued things/amount of money. Sure enough, we were fine.

After window shopping for about 3 hours (and not buying one thing?!) we grabbed lunch at a restaurant where the waiters were very Paolo-esque again then headed to the bus that took us to our hostel on the other side of the island called Anacapri.

In line for the buses I noticed two signs for other buses that went to “Marina Grande,” and “Marina Piccola,” which reminded me of my sister and cousin (of some sort) – AHHH I miss my big sister; I took a picture :)

Once off the bus in Anacapri we started to walk to our hostel; I have officially decided that I will never backpack through Europe. Each of us packed all the stuff we needed for the weekend in our backpacks and had been carrying them around virtually all weekend… by Saturday afternoon my back and shoulders were hurting almost more than my broken foot!

Our walk to our hostel turned out to be about 2 miles. Seriously. We were all pissed. We had been walking all day long; the website said that the hostel was only .2 km outside of the center of Anacapri; my foot was throbbing; we got totally lost on the way there because we were walking down streets literally big enough for 1 vespa to fit down… I fell so far behind the group that I pulled out my camera and spent my walk taking pictures of local gatti italiani that were sunbathing on the warm cobblestones (I literally took about 10 pictures).

FINALLY we arrived at our hostel which was so far in the middle of nowhere that they had sheep in the backyard. After throwing all of our stuff in our room we went to use their internet to buy our train tickets for the next day… it was the most frustrating internet session of our lives. A combination of the laptop sucking, trenitalia.com being retarded, the Italian keyboard being confusing, the internet going in and out, and the computer blocking cookies (whatever that means) on top of the fact that we were a 20 minute walk outside the center of town with a girl with a broken foot made us all want to cry. OH! AND while we were dealing with this stupid internet BS I was bit about 6 times by a mosquito IN MY ARMPIT! I seriously looked like a monkey when I would scratch them; atleast it was my armpit and not my ass like Tamara. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

In the end we were able to buy 2 out of 4 tickets; I was one of the 2 without a ticket and was so annoyed about it that I even called my mom and dad at home too see if they could order it for me!!!

After a quick group pow-wow we decided to shower and enjoy the nightlife of Anacapri. Our hostel shower was literally 1ftx1ft wide and the towel I used after to dry myself off was hard and crunchy. Ew, I don’t even want to think too hard about that.

For dinner we trekked into downtown Anacapri and ate at a restaurant called “Barabosa.” It was about 10 levels down from our beloved “Tre Sorelle” from the night before and every single waiter was a really gross, WAY more forward “Paolo;” unfortunately our wallets were starting to empty out and we had to settle with that.

Our waiter thought he was really funny and actually reminded me a lot of “tray boy” (a dorky kid that has seats near us at Dodger Games always wears his soda try on his head as a hat – I think my mom might be the only person who knows who that is) and kept walking by singing, “Ooo baby baby! Baby baby!” He was so gross. None of us would make eye contact with him because every time we did he’d wink at us. He also gave us “free” entry cards into a discotek (that turned out didn’t even have a cover charge). We were hoping that we’d be able to milk him for free wine and food and stuff but he turned out to be so creepy that we were too scared to act too nice to him. In the end we did get free limoncello though… greeeaaaatt… give us the nasty stuff that we all gag on for free… thaaaaanks a looooot. Haha, we’re so spoiled.

For desert, Marilena and I really wanted to stop at a little store we’d passed by earlier where they were making crepes. While we were waiting for our crepe, the entire population of Italian pre-teens living on Capri (well, not the entire population, but a whole bunch of them) flooded the shop. They were loud and obnoxious and I couldn’t help but give them all really dirty looks (especially “Harry Potter” that would not leave us alone). It was a good thing that our crepe (which had only Nutella in it) tasted absolutely incredible otherwise I would have gone back and started beating up all those little Italian tweens.

The discotek we went to was called Underground, and was pretty much the only disco in Anacapri. It was really gross and all the people there were Americans kids studying abroad in different programs and vacationing in Anacapri that night. Being the snooty SCU girls that we are we sat down and spent about 45 minutes laughing at all the people that sucked at dancing. There was the girl in the pink tank top that thought she was hot but definitely was not, there was the girl on E next to us dancing/playing with her hair/biting her nails/doing weird things, and the guy with the poofy right butt cheek (we took pictures of the latter two).

After getting bored of the people in the disco we decided to call it a night. On our long long long walk back through the mini allies without streetlights we met a guy from Los Angeles that was studying abroad in Rome and knew a lot of the SCU kids in his program (seriously SCU is all over freakin Europe; people must hate us).

I also made friends with a fat cat on the way and named it “Fat Chow Mein” cuz he really did look like a fat version of Chow. Somehow I got him to follow me all the way back to our hostel!

That night I fell asleep and thanks to Tamara had dreams that I was covered in centipedes. I WASN’T, which was good, but I did wake up with like 5 more mosquito bites… AAAHHHH! What a day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home