Monday, September 18, 2006

Chillin on Sunday

It’s been a while since the last time I experienced a huge rainstorm. Last night, only minutes after we arrived at the bars it started POURING rain. I’m glad that my roommate is responsible and brought an umbrella (I tend to follow in the footsteps of my dad: “what? Nah, it’s fine; we don’t need an umbrella). Well, we needed it!

At JJ’s we congregated with the usuals: Amelia and her roommate, Becca, and her friend Kelly. Becca is crazy! She has no fear when it comes to Italian boys. Seriously, a little posse of sketchy looking boys was chillin outside of the bar and she totally just walked up and sat on their laps and got them all to buy her a drink… we all kinda sat there watching with our mouths open like ummmm, no thank you. We ended up meeting the sketchy boys that she befriended (they didn’t speak a lick of English). One guy was in a matching jeans and jean jacket outfit (HAHA), another guy told me he was 28 (I assume he still lived with his mama), and the third guy was cool but the fact that he was hanging out with two sketchballs made him sketchy too.

Last night we made friends with a lot of Americans. It’s kinda sad that I pass as nothing but American. A guy walked buy us and was like “Americans,” (the entire bar was pretty much from the US or England). I figure it’s me that gives away the whole group… meeh. Oh well. We befriended some guy from CA that talked us into walking to another bar called The Old Stove. It was quite a trek. The rain on our walk there was the hardest it’d rained the whole day. I had decided not to bring out my crutches (even though my foot was still throbbing from our day in Pisa and Lucca) and started to regret it. To walk about 3 blocks it took me about 30 minutes. I wore out regular shoes without a brace so to people walking by it looked like I was a girl with a bad gimp (not a girl with a broken foot).

We finally made it. The bar was cool. All the bars are cool around here actually. Well, to be honest, before coming to Europe I had never really even BEEN to a bar (minus, liek, the Mermaid in Hermosa which doesn’t count). Haha. At The Old Stove we hung out with our new friend (who turned out to be kinda sketchy too; he was liek 30. ew). Around 1:30AM after doing a round of Jaeger bombs and a video interview on my camera we decided to call it a night.

Amelia’s crazy roommate had disappeared hours earlier with the original sketchballs we met at JJ’s and she couldn’t get a hold of her to get back home. I didn’t like that. I mean, it’s ok that her roommate wanted to go off and go dancing but it wasn’t ok that she wasn’t answering her phone when Amelia was calling her. Ugh.

This morning we woke up around noon. Yesterday we saw our host parents all of ZERO times! When we left in the morning they were still sleeping and when we arrived home at night they weren’t there (?). Apparently they spent the day and night at their house in the country. Marilena and I are beginning to think that our family is loaded based on a few observations: 1) they have a housekeeper that comes once a week; is that normal for italy? For some reason I didn’t think it was… 2) They have two houses, 3) They have a boat, 4) They buy us whatever we ask for, and 5) The interior of their house is very artsy and chic. Hm… lucky us!

This morning we met Manuel (their youngest son that’s 21…). My first thought when I saw him was Seth Fuller? Seriously, something about him TOTALLY reminds me of Seth. Kike told us that he was sposed to study in Barcelona but failed his test sooo he’s going to be living and studying HERE with us for the rest of the year. Hm. So now there are SIX people living in this house that comfortably fits four. I’m sure, had Kike and Susana known that their sons were going to be here this fall, they wouldn’t have hosted students like us. Oh well… I’ve always loved having a big family. Today we had our first family lunch. It was pretty cool/awkward at the same time. We’re all the same age and the fact that we’re all living together for the next few months seems really weird. (note: at lunch today Susana offered us “little green balls,” (aka peas). I’m so immature – it made me laugh for like 10 minutes.)

This afternoon is for homework – oh yea, wait what? We’re here in Firenze to learn? Sometimes that totally slips my mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home