Monday, September 18, 2006

Friday

Today, for our day off, Marilena and I decided to go run errands. Before we set out our list consisted of: 1) going to the bank to exchange her travelers checks, 2) going to Florence Copy to buy one of my text books, 3) buying a journal for me, 4) buying umbrellas, and 5) getting gelato at Cavini. We were out for about 4 hours and only managed to accomplish two things on the list…

Overall, I’d say we walked about 1 ½ miles (trust me, that’s a LONG way when you only have one good foot), and my right foot is totally flat, and I have permanent indentions from my crutches on my hands… We stopped and got panini at “La Taverna Degli Artisti,” which was pretty cool (even though I’m still in a funk where I seriously don’t eat during the day). After, we went to 4 different banks to exchange Marilena’s checks – not ONE bank would do it! It’s weird… maybe we’re going to all the wrong places?! If anyone has any advice, please let us know!

On our way back we stopped at Cavini and while Marilena was in the bank next door to the store I waited for her in the chairs outside. I was mobbed by Italian guys. They weren’t the latin lover type that everyone wishes they’d meet while they were here, but more like the mall rats of Italy. Seriously. The first guy that came over to talk to me was asking about my foot and what I was studying here and blah blah blah, small talk. He hardly spoke English and I was so exhausted after gimping around the city that I started to get really annoyed, especially since he wouldn’t go away and kept calling more and more friends over to talk to me. FINALLY Marilena came out of the bank and we managed to escape – ugh. These guys were annoying cuz they were whipping out the “hey baby! You’re beautiful baby! I love you baby! Baby! Baby! BABY!” AAAAHHHHHHHHHH – SHUT UP!

The only good thing that came out of the conversation was the fact that it felt good to be called beautiful on a day that a) I didn’t shower, b) was sweaty and greasy, and c) looked totally retarded gimping around with my crutches. It’s cool that, unlike Americans, Italian boys are very quick to tell you that you’re beautiful (even on days you know you look totally nasty).

Anyways, it feels good to be home even though I have tons of reading to do for class on Monday. Whatever; work now and party tonight!!! YAY!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home