Monday, September 18, 2006

Our famiglia just got 10x better

Still trying to figure out what exactly happened last night…

Marilena and I spent the evening doing homework. Around 7:30 Susana and Kike went out to a movie and left instructions for making dinner. After we ate, Manuel (aka Seth Fuller) shows up… with an entire posse of friends. Marilena and I are pretty sure that he went out and told all his friends, “I have two American girls living at my house with me and you ALL have to come over and meet them,” because none of them really seemed that surprised to see us there. Ok. This kid is crazy – we were all sitting around the kitchen table (me, marilena, manuel, luca, and like 8 other boys whose names ranged from Ya Ya to Fabio…) and while Manuel was cooking everyone dinner the rest of the boys were busy rolling joints… um, yea, what?!?

At first I didn’t understand what they were doing. They asked us if it was ok that they smoked and I was kinda thought to myself, wow that was really polite to ask if we minded their smoking cigarettes in the house. Ha, too bad they weren’t asking about cigarettes. Italian weed looks nothing like American/California weed and until they started smoking it (and I smelled it) I literally thought they were just making fancy cigarettes. Hahaha, I’m not much of the smoking type but I must say that it was really fun to sit around with these boys while they all got stoned (minus the fact that I smell like a big ashtray this morning).

So, watching Manuel cook them dinner was an event in itself. He made pasta (simple, easy) THEN for desert each boy peeled an apple (no one washes fruit here, they just peel the skin off) THEN, the best part: he made them all coffee!!! Yea, a 21 year old kid made all his pot smoking friends coffee at 10:00 at night.

Most of them spoke English (which we were grateful for; we were feeling a little bit overwhelmed by all the boys and all of our Italian skills flew right out the window) and were very interested in getting to know us which was cool. Our conversations ranged from how we liked italy so far, to cheerleading, to Paris Hilton, to how cuss words translated into Italian… Haha. We made plans to all go out together when my foot gets better (stupid foot); they said they’d take us to bars that locals go to rather than the bars we’ve been going to with all the Americans.

They left the house before Susana and Kike got home from their movie and Marilena and I were FREAKING OUT because the kitchen was a huge mess. Dishes everywhere. Ashtrays everywhere. Beer bottles everywhere… But our host parents didn’t seem to mind. (In fact, this morning at breakfast they were more concerned with whether or not Marilena and I managed to eat dinner the night before and didn’t even mention anything about the condition of the kitchen). HOW COOL IS THAT?!

When we first moved in here Marilena and I were freaked out about what behavior was ok and what wasn’t ok and now we know that basically anything is ok because they have two sons that literally do whatever they want! They prolly think that we’re socially retarded or something; because of my foot we’ve hardly gone out at all… when I get better that’s going to have to change for sure.

Man oh man. YAY!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home