Monday, September 25, 2006

Firenze Sweet Firenze

Sunday began at 7AM when I awoke to the sound of a rooster “cock-a-doodle-doo-ing.” Yes, that’s how far out in the middle of nowhere our hostel was.

The hostel’s complimentary breakfast included cappuccinos (that tasted like beef jerky?) and a croissant (that I really didn’t like… I actually really don’t like the Euro version of croissants because they are waaaay too sweet; I’ll take my butter American croissants over the Euro ones any day).

At breakfast there was a girl sitting next to us that looked EXACTLY like Heather Davidson. I had to double take to make sure it wasn’t her! Ah, I miss my home friends so much and love love love them because they’ve all been sending me really nice facebook messages and e-mails. XO.

We checked out of our hostel at 10 then walked into town to start our trek back to Firenze. On the way Tamara and Michelle stopped and got sandals made for them (something that Capri is known for) and I was really jealous and wish that I didn’t run out of money!

After buying bus tickets we stood in a line/mob, in the blazing sun, with rude people (that thought I was Dutch… yay! That’s the first non-american origin that I’ve gotten!) that were all pushing and shoving even though there weren’t any buses coming. Oh yea. Did I mention that? As we were in line we found out that they CLOSED OFF THE STREETS TO ALL CARS TEMPORARILY. There was a race that day and we had to wait. Until. Every. Single. Runner. In. The. Race. Went. By.

About one hour later (literally) we finally managed to squish onto a bus into Marina Grande where boats left for Napoli. Other than Tamara almost flying to the ground when the bus screeched to a stop (on the steep roads of death) it was a pretty uneventful ride. The boat into Napoli was as beautiful as our boat ride to Capri and we all enjoyed it.

Napoli was still disappointing and gross when we finally arrived and after walking around the dock for, liek, 10 minutes looking for the trolly stop we arrived (with help from locals on the trolly) at the train station. At station we bought tickets (and was relieved to be on the same train as Michelle and Tamara) then got McDonald’s for lunch. Ok… I haven’t had McDonald’s in forever and it tasted fantastic!!! Best chicken Mcnuggets ever. I was very satisfied. Italian McD’s is funny: They had prosciutto burgers on the menu; they looked gnarly too.

After lunch we still had about 1 ½ hours til our train was due to leave so we looked at the schedule and went and parked ourselves on a bench near the track it was sposed to leave from… ok. IF YOU EVER TAKE A TRAIN MAKE SURE THAT THE SCHEDULE IS RIGHT AND THAT THEY DIDN’T CHANGE THE TRACK. We realized our train hadn’t pulled into the station yet and started to get confused because the time was 5 minutes AFTER the train was sposed to have left… Well, we realized there had been a track change in time to see our train pulling OUT of the station WITHOUT US ON IT.

After paying the difference for new train tickets (our original tickets were for the cheapest and slowest train to Firenze) we bought a bottle of wine and spent the next hour drinking and watching the stray dogs, that were running around the Napoli train station, fight with each other and pee all over signs and billboards in the station. It was really entertaining actually.

Our train was super nice but it was one of those days where the second things starts going great something goes wrong. Since we bought our tickets so late all of our designated seats were all separated from each other. We were the FIRST people on the train and decided to sit together anyways and hoped that it wouldn’t fill up… well the first people that came into our car (which was empty except for us) had tickets for our seats. At that point Marilena and I just got up and moved the 5 cars down where our seats were because we were so over dealing with problems.

BEWARE: On Sunday nights, the Rome Station is PACKED full of creepers, smokers, travelers, and beautiful people kissing beautiful people goodbye. Italians have no fear about PDA and for some reason when they do it, it looks very romantic, liek, I want to stop and watch rather then turn to my friends and talk about how rude that is.

On my walk to the train my foot was run over by wheely bags about 10 times and I was so anxious to get home to Firenze that I almost didn’t notice. On the train I was sitting next to Frotto (okay, it wasn’t Frotto, but I swear this guy looked EXACTLY like him) and by the we finally got back I was ready to pass out.

We left our hostel that morning at 10:30AM and I walked through my front door of my apartment in Firenze at 11:30PM. No joke. Longest, most frustrating day of traveling ever.

Overall though, it was a fabulous trip and I am so happy that I was able to go! It’s been a LOOOOONNNGGGG time since I’ve done a “girls weekend” like this and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Everyone was so much fun and down to earth that it made the trip very worthwhile.

At the same time though, it feels REALLY good to be back home in Firenze.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home