Thursday, October 19, 2006

cheap wine = expensive hangover

(Today's title provided by my lovely roommate... hehe)

There is something about the date “October 17th.” When I woke up this morning and my cell phone said 17-10-06 I had total déjà vu and sat there for about 20 minutes trying to figure out why this day stands out in my head THEN it hit me. I was brought back to six years ago when I was 14 years old and a freshman at Mira Costa and to all the events that took place on that day… God time has flown. It’s crazy to think of everything that I’ve been through since then and the ways in which I’ve completely changed and not changed at all.

Today was interesting. Italian class sucked as usual. It’s weird because even though we’re still not learning anything, we’re all getting really bad grades in the class. So far our grade has been based on two 1-page compositions that we’ve turned in… well, our teacher is a hardcore grader. If you’re off by a letter or an accent mark he grades you down. For my entire career as an Italian student I have gotten solid A’s on my compositions… so far at SUF I have gotten two B’s AND my grades (along with one other girl) have been the highest of the class. It is retarded. The average grade on every composition is a C… if I was a teacher and my whole class was getting a C I’d step back and think about what was going wrong: either I’m not teaching them anything OR I’m grading them way too hard. Everyone in our class is super motivated and aren’t the “C student” type. It’s very stressful because none of us are sure what to do in order to boost our grades… Marilena went in to complain about our teacher and I’m thinking about doing the same tomorrow. Ugh.

During “intervallo” I got into a big discussion with Claire and Mardee about how I was dropping my Michelangelo class and I think that I inspired the both of them to drop their art history classes too. They are both enrolled in Leonardo DaVinci and it is taught by Hatfield (the same professor that teaches my Michelangelo class). It felt good discussing everything with them because they had the same complaints about their class as I did about mine – it made me feel like i’m not just being a bad student/big wuss by dropping it. Mardee and I decided to have an Art-History-Class-Drop-Outs party tomorrow afternoon…

Seriously Syracuse is a total disappointment to everyone. I came to Italy more excited to learn about art/art history (my field of specialization) than I’ve ever been to learn about it at SCU and they’ve totally ruined it for me. I’m in Italy not taking any art history class… I mean, what? I dunno, it doesn’t make sense.

After school I went to the gym then went shopping at an Italian-version-of-Target-type-store to buy some winter clothes (even though it really hasn’t started to get cold at all yet). I’m starting to get sick of rotating the same clothes every other week sooo I figured a new shirt/sweater or two would be a nice change to the rotation.

On my way home I called Steph. Ahhh -- I miss my twin!! I felt so bad because it was, liek, 16:48 here which made it, liek, 7:48AM at home and I’m pretty sure I woke her up but she was cool and chatted with me for a while. It actually feels good to miss my friend though because I know I have something fun to look forward to when I get home. I started thinking about how things are going to be when we all get back to SCU and I’m not sure if I liked how I imagined it to be. I don’t want things to go back to the way they used to be before I left for Italy because I’m starting to think that I haven’t actually been happy (if that makes sense?). I don’t know. It’s been a long time since I’ve been able to wake up every morning feeling content with myself and my life and I really like it.

The events of tonite were ridiculous. Santa Clara basically took over all of Firenze. All the kids from study abroad programs in London and Barcelona are on their semester breaks right now so they all came to Firenze to visit… literally at the Duomo there were SCUers flooding from all directions. Not only were all SUF SCUers out but, liek, 30 foreign SCUers were there too! At one point Marilena counted all the SCUers and there were something like 45 of us! How cool is that?! I love love love going to a small school where everyone knows everyone! Being at SCU right now must suck cuz I seriously think all the fun people I’ve ever met at school are abroad… wait, no even better, they’re in Firenze!

After taking billions of pictures, and drinking, and hugging/reunioning we herded to Old Stove. More drinking and pictures and yummy coconut shots and having hardcore Alpha Phi/DG stare downs and schmoozing and Chris on his megaphone and group sing-a-longs to I BELIEVE IN A THING CALLED LOVE. It was a huge ruckus. I loved it.

Then we all decided to go dancing (since it’s the best thing ever)!!! Since Andromeda was the closest we decided to mob ourselves over there. God I loooooove dancing (even if it IS with a random Italian guy that wouldn’t leave me alone). Marilena was on creeper patrol me at one point during the night because some huge black guy, liek, grabbed my arm and tried to get me to go with him… ummmm NO THANK YOU SIR! I did however accept an invitation to go drink champagne with some guys from Holland. They spoke English but for some reason I was in the mood to speak Italian… I think they musta thought I was a little bit psycho. HAHAHAHAHA. God. Last night was awesome.

On our walk home, Marilena and I met up with Dan so that we wouldn’t have to walk by ourselves… it WAS like 3:45ish?? I was freezing! It was scary cuz on the walk home we noticed a sketchy guy was, liek, following us but we had a good sized group and didn’t really think anything of it. The last 5ish minutes of Marilena and my walk home we had to make alone and the SECOND it was just the two of us the sketchy guy walked up to us and started talking to us… ehhhh… we were so scared that we just flat out started running. No joke, we sprinted home. I have NO clue what the dude said to us but I do know that he was following our group for a while and as soon as us two girls were alone he moved in… AAAAAHHHHHHHH.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home