Wednesday, September 27, 2006

La Finestra Di Fronte

First of all: I GOT MY FIRST LETTER TODAY! I was getting worried for a while because I’ve given my address out to literally 20 people and I’ve been here for almost a month now and haven’t gotten anything!!! XO Grandma; thank you for my letter!!!

Anyways… last night our host fam had friends over for dinner and for the first time since I’ve been here I really really really disliked the food they made us. I’m ashamed to say that later I found out that the courses they prepared were very traditionally Florentine… ahhhh!

The prima piatte (first course) was a macaroni-esque pasta which i really liked (and fortunately felt full after eating); the seconda piatte (the meat course) was steak and mashed potatoes... sounds normal right? Well, I’m not really a big steak fan to begin with but I was willing to put on a good face for our host fam… too bad my steak was basically raw. I’m not kidding; it wasn’t juicing, it was liek still bleeding! I ate the edges of it (that were sorta cooked) and left the pink squishy stuff on my plate – our host fam then took the opportunity to point out to me that I looked totally retarded because as I looked around the table to see how much everyone else had eaten I saw that they did the complete opposite and ate the pink squish but left the cooked parts on their plate (even their guests son that was 10 years old did that)… Apparently Italians are vampires and I’m not quite ready to make that commitment yet… OOPS!

Then we had desert – psh, I’m the desert goddess and I was ready to eat anything that Susana prepared for us! So out comes this platter with a giant chocolaty, fruity, tart-like-thing on it… um yes please, Kike, I’d LOVE a big fat piece! The second I put it in my mouth I almost started gagging. I’m not sure if it’s the fact that the raisins had fat seeds in them (all the grapes here have seeds, making it inevitable that the raisins have them too) or if it was the ridiculously strong black licorice flavor I didn’t like, but there was no way that I was planning on putting anymore of it in my mouth. After a few minutes of moving it around my plate and pretending to eat it but not daring to eat anymore Kike caught on and embarresed me by pointing out my plate (which by then had a gigantic pile of brown goop on it) to the whole table. YES I AM AN AMERICAN AND DO NOT HAVE A SOPHISTICATED ENOUGH PALETTE TO ENJOY YOUR FOOD. There, I said it. :)

Today in Italian our class we (and all the other Italian 3 classes; 12 out of the 20 people in the room were SCUers) got to enjoy a movie on the big screen… We watched “La Finestra Di Fronte.” It was interesting… the story was about a gay, Jewish, Italian, pastry chef with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder that almost convinces a girl to leave her husband and two children in order to run off with the rich banker (aka Clark Kent’s twin) across the way that’s been peeping on her through the window… It was actually a really good movie (lots of beautiful actors and actresses in it). Notgonnalie though the ongoing commentary that Bravo and I had throughout the whole thing made it even better.

My printmaking class was cancelled this afternoon cuz we’re moving into a brand new studio (!!!) which, unfortunately, wasn’t ready for us today. Oh well, I have some HW to catch up on today so it’s nice to have some downtime. Later I have to go to listen to this guy that specializes in gender studies lecture… BARF. Marilena and I have already planned to buy 2 bottles of wine before it… meeh, why not? Maybe we won’t be so bored… tonights going to be one of “those” nights (esp if we can convince our host brother to take us out); YAY! Hopefully I’ll have some fun stories to spice this blog up tomorrow…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home