Wednesday, October 04, 2006

1 whole month

So right now I SHOULD be in class but I really wasn’t in the mood so decided skip it. We’re allowed, liek, one absence sooooo I guess mine’s today!

This morning I went to Italian though – Wednesdays are always pretty cool because it’s “culture day,” where we spend the day doing things to get acquainted with the way Italians live (last week we watched a popular movie; some classes went to the grocery store; some go out to a restaurant; etc). Today’s activity was actually really really cool.

We were sposed to meet in Palazzo Pitti at 11:05 for a little field trip. Marilena and I took the bus (we’re bus pro’s now) and OF COURSE got there late; I swear, every time I have taken the bus I’ve shown up like 20 minutes late because they never show up at the stop on time! Whatever, 2 girls in our class (that has 8 people total) didn’t even show up.

Anyways, Alessandro (our teacher that wears the SAME outfit everyday) took us to a workshop of an old man that restores sculptures for a living… I know, what?! The shop was a hole in the wall; there was stuff and dust and tools and other weird things ALL OVER the place. My first instinct when I walked in was to start sorting out everything… seriously I think I’m way too organized to be an artist!

This guy reminded me of Gepetto (from Pinocchio). His name was Luigi and he spoke ONLY Italian. I was impressed with myself because even though I suck at speaking (the right words never seem to come to my brain fast enough) I understood prolly about 80% of what he said. He told us about the process he has to go through when he restores sculptures and how he’s made frames for paintings that are hanging in various museums throughout Firenze. Then he gave us a little demonstration and whittled a little flower for us – this guy in the best whittler I have ever seen! It looked so easy that I wanted to pick up a tool and try it out… but I didn’t. My brain was pounding from drinking too much last night and all I really wanted to do was run out the door to the nearest bar to buy a bottle of acqua frizzante.

After class we went to a bar and had the best pizza ever – it had caprese on it as the topping; liek, real mozzarella and tomato slices. My hungover self was incredibly satisfied afterwards. Then the girls left and had to run to the Accademia for their art history class; it was about 12:40 and I was left with a choice: run and buy a bus ticket and hop on the bus and hopefully get back to school on time OR spend extra money to grab a cab… Eh, at that point I decided that I was going to skip my printmaking class and spend the afternoon alone.

Today is officially 1 month of being here in Italy. I love love love my roommate and all my friends here but as I was strolling around I realized that not once over the past month have I had time to be alone. It’s weird because normally I HATE being alone… it makes me really depressed actually. But today it was nice. I walked from Palazzo Piti (which is on the other side of the Arno, close to Ponte Vecchio) all the way back to my house; I think it’s prolly somewhere around 2ish miles?

It’s a perfect day here today: windy, and a cloudy, but the air is warm and it felt really good and refreshing. I stopped and bought a bunch of postcards cuz I decided that I really really really like sending/receiving mail so I’m going to start writing to people at home. I figured that if I sent stuff to people then maybe they’d send things back to me. I told my mom yesterday that I look in my mailbox everyday and never have anything… heh, it’s okay though. Mail is kinda old fashion and everyone’s prolly super busy anways.

God, I can’t believe I’ve already been here for a month.

Tomorrow evening Dan, Laura, Ben, and I leave for Brussels (that’s in Belgium bytheway). I know nothing about Brussels. Dan tells me that it’s famous for its good beer, chocolate, and french fries… um, sounds good to me!

It was brought to my attention yesterday that this weekend at home is the Hometown Fair; this will be the 3rd year that I will have missed it – god, I LOVE the fair. Oh well, it’s ok… I’m just going to tell myself the same thing I’ve been telling myself every time I get sad about missing something at home/at school: I AM IN ITALIA (well, actually, this weekend… I AM IN BELGIUM!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home