Monday, October 23, 2006

Il Latini

We’ve just started midterms week… I can’t believe that the semester is half over! My week shouldn’t be too bad. It’s nice taking three classes; it’s been a few years since I had a really easy schedule. I have one REAL test in Family and Gender on Thursday and it should be pretty hard but our teacher is giving us a big review sheet in class tomorrow sooo I’m not that worried about it. Usually when I actually sit down and study I remember everything and get everything done. Then I also have a midterm in Italian on Wednesday and Thursday… I have no clue what to expect for that test. Hopefully it won’t be totally retarded; I figure that since ALL the SUF Italian 3 students have to take it, it should be pretty manageable.

Yesterday it was like a party on the SUF campus. The school is usually closed on the weekends but this weekend it was open for midterm prep. The doors opened at noon. Marilena and I got there around 11:45 (half because we didn’t know it didn’t open til noon and half cuz we wanted to get there early to GET seats) and we waited with about 20 people on the curb in front of the school… Hahahaha, it was funny to think that we were all there early to push and shove to get good seats in the library.

Marilena and I ended up leaving the library around 5:30ish (after I had accomplished one thing on my list of 800 things to do) and headed home. The plan for the evening was to meet up with our friends at Il Latini for dinner in celebration of Laura’s 21st birthday (which unfortunately falls on Tuesday, smack in the middle of midterms).

So at 6:50ish Marilena and I made the trek down to the Duomo in search of this restaurant. After walking in circles for about 10 minutes I called Natalie to get directions, since they were already there… “Then you turn down a really small alley and you’ll see the restaurant because there will be a HUGE crowd of people in front of it pushing and shoving to get in. You need to tell them you’re part of a reservation for 10 otherwise they won’t let you in…” Literally, there was a mob in front of the restaurant! I felt really VIP when the host shoved people aside in order to make room for Marilena and I to go in. I guess the deal with this place is that it has the best Tuscan cooking in, well, Tuscany. There are two seating times and if you don’t have a reservation you basically have a 2% chance of getting in.

Our table was on the second floor in a room with three other big tables of old people, that HATED our table and kept shushing us all evening long… I think they were just jealous. Dinner was really freakin fun. The group consisted of Laura, Natalie, Marilena, Rachel, me (yay Phis!), Ben, Ryan, Dan, Navid, and Chris and by the end of dinner we were stuffed full of red wine and some of the best food I’ve ever eaten. It was a family-style, full four-course meal, restaurant. Every course was incredible. I’m not even sure what I was eating half the time!!! Not gonna lie, the big platter of very very very pink steaks freaked me out a little bit but everyone that ate them said they were delicious… I just took their word for it. Haha.

You know you’re getting old when an event like this is all you want for your birthday. I think Laura was happy (at first I think she wanted to veto celebrating all together cuz of tests) which is all that matters! Turning 21 in Italy, where being 21 means nothing, right in the middle of midterms - ugh. Man!

After dinner we took a million pictures and walked to The Hood. Half way there we came across a merry-go-round in Piazza Della Reppublicca and HAD to have a go on it. It was a ruckus. We were acting like out of control two year olds… Laura was riding her horse backwards, Marilena and I were sharing a horse, Dan and Chris were spooning in the love seat… it was fabulous. After Laura schmoozed with some Italian guys selling glow-in-the-dark-flying-things… god, I love these people. It was funny cuz at dinner we started talking about how none of us knew each other before coming to Firenze. Each of us had only one other person at the tables’ US phone number… it’s weird but really cool to think about at the same time.

Updates coming soon about last weekend in Dublin… it takes me a while to get weekends out, especially since it’s going to be a looong one. AAHHH.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home