Monday, November 13, 2006

the FIAT on the Autostrada...

November 10
The first half of the day I did nothing but sleep. I was exhausted this morning. I heard Marilena leave at 7 for the train station and didn’t even have the energy to open my eyes to say goodbye – CIAO BELLA! HAVE FUN IN ROMA (with Niel)!

Around noon I left from my house and walked down to the train station to meet my mom and dad (!!!). I’ve been to the train station a million times while I’ve been here in Firenze and have seen a bunch of people reunioning with loved ones and was always a little bit jealous of them – today was my turnnnn! I didn’t realize that I missed them as much as I did. When I finally got to see them I couldn’t stop crying! Hahaha, I didn’t ever really think I was the tears-of-happiness type girl.

After hugging and crying for about ten minutes we headed out on our weekend vacation. Our plan was to head out to Sienna (the Italian countryside) to go wine tasting. Our transportation to Sienna? A rental car. Yes, my dad was renting a car and driving us through the streets of Firenze onto the autostrada all the way to Sienna. I told my host family this and they laughed at us and wished us good luck (AKA I hope you don’t die because Italian drivers are ruthless). My dad did a fabulous job. Even though the rental car company tried to make the three of us and our luggage fit into a Smart Car (haha), we got incredibly lost, AND I ended up feeling incredibly car sick from reading the map (my mom somehow got the impression that iiii was, liek, an Italian mapquest), we arrived at Borgo Casa Bianca only a few hours later.

If I was going to live in Italy, I would live in the countryside. It is freaking beautiful out here. Our hotel is actually a villa-turned-apartment on top of a small hill surrounded by olive groves and foliage… for as far as you can see. Our apartment is indescribable, but I could probably live here for the rest of my life if I had to.

After a stroll around the property to admire the sunset and the scenery and the beautiful old buildings that make up Casa Bianca we freshened up and headed to dinner at the small restaurant located in the villa’s dining room. Best dinner ever. Good wine, good appetizers, good gnocchi (my new favorite thing), and my mom and dad :)

My mom surprised me with a lot of little presents from Germany. Christmassy things. Marilena and my room is going to be all decorated when I get back! Thank you mama!

We headed to bed early because tomorrow we have a driver picking us up around noon to take us to three of the vineyards in the area for wine tasting! I’ve never been before, but I’m really really really excited because i’ve developed a taste for wine… hehe, Ree and Kev you’d better be ready for me when I get home!

Bytheway… it feels so good to sleep in a big bed again. I love traveling with the parentals!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home