Wednesday, December 06, 2006

THREE months!

Dec 5
I haven’t been in the USA for three months (94 days to be exact)… that’s a loooong time. The countdown to go home is getting small and smaller; I think everyone’s pretty excited about that. It’s painful to STILL be in school. Ugh, the semester system sucks. It’s such a freakin looooong time to be in the same class! SCU started 2 weeks after us and are already in finals week right now. What? Another reason to add to my list of reasons why I hate Syracuse in Florence.

Speaking of lists, I added/edited a few things to my “Things I’m Starting To Miss At Home” list that I posted about a week ago:

#3 was El Sombrero but seeing as that is no longer a possibility since it burned to the ground, I’m going to have to replace El Som with “Mexican food” in general
# 5 has been edited to read: “Diet Coke and non-fat milk” because even though eating my morning cereal with warm cream was good for a while, it’s gotten old and I’m really missing the ice cold watery milk that I’ve been drinking my whole life
#16 was added a few days ago: “the nook.” I’m not even sure if there are a lot of people that even know what this is, but for those who do (and especially to the specific person whose nook I miss) you’d feel the same way if you used to have one too.

Finals coming up are seriously starting to make people go crazy. I noticed it today down in the dungeon where the computer lab is. I usually arrive around 9 every morning to get all my blog/homework/printing/gossip column reading/e-mailing out of the way for the whole day – usually at 9 it’s nice because it’s completely empty. Today however, it was jam packed and people were basically beating eachother up and getting in fights in order to get on the computer. WHOA EVERYONE.

This afternoon after the gym Marilena and I zoned out and had arts and crafts time. Our project was a little Christmas card for our brother Manuel. About a week ago when I bought my Cosmo magazine it came in a package with another magazine, a SIMS sampler, and a poster of a girl modeling some Christmas lingere. Welllll, it only made sense to write a little speech bubble coming out of the lingere model’s mouth saying, “Ti amo Manuel! Oooh baby!” Right now the poster is sitting on his pillow waiting for him to come home. :) “Buone Feste Manuel – from, le tue sorelle.”

Mamone was over for dinner and a sleepover again. Ugh, I haven’t written about Mamone yet huh? Well. Where should I begin. Mamone’s real name is Nico and he is a friend of Susana and Kike’s from Argentina and now lives and works here in Firenze. He lives with his mother… she’s old; we met her at a dinner party one night. Anyways, Marilena and I call him “mamone” because our Fam and Gender teacher told us that the technical term for an adult male that still lives with his mother (yes, there really is a technical term) is “mamone.”

Anyways, I’d say Mamone is in his 40’s and is kinda weird and ugly and, until tonight, not very nice to Marilena and me. His mother has been visiting family in Argentina for a few weeks now and Mamone has pretty much moved in with us until she gets back. No joke. This dude is at our house more than Marilena and I are here. He eats dinner with us every night, he sleeps on the fold-out couch, he showers here, and he eats breakfast here every morning. The few times I’ve been home during the day, he’s here too…? Ehhh…

He only speaks Spanish and Italian and usually ignores Marilena and I (even though we sleep, liek, a wall away from him and eat basically every meal together) but tonight he was sitting next to us in Manuel’s usual spot (who was MIA tonight) and it was actually pretty fun. Usually at dinner Susana and Kike pour us the saddest little glasses of wine but tonight, Mamone was in charge of pouring our wine and he did a very good job at basically keeping our glasses full all meal long. Then he actually spoke to us and even though it was in his broken English/our broken Italian he told us jokes and actually laughed at ours when we told them back! I was very surprised… I’ve been hating him for about a month now and all of a sudden tonight he was cool. Maybe he was drunk? Hahaha.

Oh and PS, I just walked to the bathroom to brush my teeth and walked by the fold-out couch with Mamone comfortably snuggled up on it… that’s the 3rd time THIS WEEK; it’s TUESDAY!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home