Thursday, November 30, 2006

Mona Lisa Smile and Iraq

Yesterday -- Nov 29
I bought an Italian Cosmo magazine this afternoon because Rachel Bilson was on the cover and I love her. It only costed two euro and included a second gossip magazine called “Tu,” a poster of a girl modeling some Christmas lingerie, and a CD with a sample version of the Sims computer game. Cool! I’ve only flipped through Cosmo for a few minutes so far but am excited because I think that if I really sat down and concentrated I would be able to understand about 90% of it. I’m excited because at home it takes me about an hour to get through an entire magazine and I’m always sad afterwards because unless I want to read the same articles over again, I have to wait an entire month for the next edition to come out. BUT with my Italian Cosmo I figure that it’s going to take me about two weeks to get through the entire thing! THEN I only have to wait two more weeks for the December issue!

I’m surprised by how many words don’t translate from English into Italian AND by how all the celebrities in the magazine are American. I’m not sure if that’s exciting or a sad. Whatever, I guess Cosmo IS an American magazine after all and I shouldn’t be complaining.

Today at school was hardly a “day at school.” For Italian our class had to meet at the Horne Museum (which turned out to be a good 30 minute walk away from our house; ugh, it’s GREAT to not have a broken foot anymore). Our tour was in all Italian. I understood pretty much everything she said. A few times I caught myself not knowing what was going on but I think that might be because it was so FREEZING inside the museum (that’s actually a house) that my brain was more focused on raising my body temperature than translating Italian to English.

After the museum tour, Marilena, Christy, Mardee, and I took advantage of being downtown and grabbed sandwiches at Oil Shoppe for lunch. I’ve been there about 5 times now and have ordered the same thing every time. A #1. If anyone ever goes there, that’s the sandwich to get.

We made it to Fam and Gender right on time. We watched the rest of Mona Lisa Smile today; god I love that movie. HOWEVER. I have a huge problem with my teacher.

Firstly, she’s trying to convince us that the director decided to shoot this movie because it has huge statements to make about America’s involvement in war with Iraq. The entire class thinks that she is full of shit. Here’s what she says:

-Mona Lisa Smile was not filmed in order display what life was for women back in the 1950’s, it is really propaganda supporting America’s war with Iraq.

Wait what? I’m not saying anymore; it gets me too angry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home