Monday, December 04, 2006

Buone Feste!

Nov 30
Today all Florentine’s are celebrating. No one’s at work, stores are packed with people, and… I had school. Booo. I don’t understand. SUF claimed that the reason we didn’t have Thanksgiving off was because they want us to live like Italians but then a day like today comes along where all Florentines have the day off to celebrate and we still have school. What bitches. Syracuse sucks.

Oh, bytheway, the holiday today? They’re celebrating the fact that Florence was the first place that abolished the death penalty. Hey, I’d prolly be pretty proud of that too? I think that Kike and Susana are going to a big dinner party tonight with friends. Susana’s been cooking all day long (our house smells incredible!) – hopefully, the party’s not here. Oh god. What if it is?!?

Turns out that dinner tonight WAS a party. There were 10 fast-talking Italians sitting around the dinner table with Marilena and me. Luckily we planned ahead and had been sipping wine all afternoon and were able to actually enjoy ourselves and the company for the entire meal.

Italian was cancelled today so Marilena and I took our extra two hours this morning to walk downtown and do a little bit more Christmas shopping. I’m excited about the things I got but am not going to give away any secrets!!!

Va Bene (our Fam and Gender teacher) showed up 15 minutes late today? Er? She’s really cool as a person (she came in bitching about how retarded people who work at SUF are) but as a teacher she’s just terrible. It’s really too bad. We started watching a movie today called “Angela.” We moved onto studying women’s roles in the mafia – cool! Unfortunately it was a subtitle movie aaaand a girl with a big head was right in front me sooo I only got to read half the words, which made it really hard to understand what was going on. Something about an affair, and dealing coke, and someone being murdered and dumped into a river? I guess it was just your typical Italian mafia movie actually.

I got a few really fabulous surprises in the mail today – my award for sending in my Christmas letter to my mom first was a teddy bear wearing the most awesome outfit I have ever seen (now Lily has someone to keep her company during the day) and a little bit of spending money. Yay! Thanks mama! I love them both!!!

I talked to Pete this morning. It was a save-this-conversation-and-read-it-later-when-I’m-feeling-sad-about-our-realtionship kind of talk, so that’s cool. I feel like I’m starting to get nervous about seeing him again, notgonnalie. Ah!

Tomorrow we leave for Amsterdam; I’m a little bit anxious but at the same time really excited. I’m going to try to be open-minded about what the city has to offer. Hehe. My luggage for this trip consists of a backpack full of 3 shirts, 4 scarves, a toothbrush, shampoo, some sweatpants, and a few diabetes supplies. Hahaha, I’m flying to a different country and only bringing these things… it’s crazy. At home over the summer I’d drive to San Diego FOR THE DAY and bring a bag twice as big as this backpack for this weekend. Things change I guess?

Marilena also packed while I was packing – this weekend she’s going down south to visit her Italian family in Bari. They are crazy. Apparently they plan on surprising her by renting out a banquet hall so that all SIXTY of her relatives can gather for dinner and get to know her. She’s like a celebrity. All the fam (that speaks only Italian and are all total strangers to her) will be there! At this point it’s hard to tell who’s more nervous: me going to Amsterdam to do who knows what or her going down south to meet the fam.

All I know is we’re both going to have fabulous stories to tell eachother when we get back!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home