Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Madrid!

My alarm went off at 6AM this morning… I threw my cell phone across the room and fell back asleep for 10 more minutes. My head was hurting (from celebratory-end-of-midterms-cocktail-hour the evening before) and I was exhausted (from getting home at 2AM after a fun night out with Dan). Our flight to Madrid was at 10:30 and Marilena and I planned to meet up with Kate at 8 at the train station… I MEANT to take a shower BUT for the second day in a row we had ZERO hot water (which makes showering really really painful).

We made it to the Firenze airport with plenty of time to spare. At the airport, SCUers flocked from all directions – literally we were on a flight with Brittany, Alexa, Alyssa, Maggie, Emily, Kendel, Kate, Kate, Marilena, and me. Hahaha, how cool is that?

On the plane in the row behind us were a few girls from our SUF program that none of us really knew. They were THE dumbest girls I have ever evesdropped on. Kate, Marilena, and I spent most of our flight sleeping/laughing at these girls (black’s not a color; wait, it’s a number? No joke…).

ALSO on the flight we were stuck with a flight attendant that must’ve been having a really bad day. I mean, that’s the only excuse I can think of that might’ve inspired the hatred that she had toward me. Before we took off, I had my iPod headphones on (but my iPod off) and she came up and tapped me on the shoulder telling me that I had to take them off to listen to the safety shpeal. So I took them off, listened, and put them back on when it was over and began to mentally prepare myself for the flight (I HATE airplanes).

She came up to me AGAIN. Tapped me hard on the shoulder. Tapped my iPod (??). I threw my hands up and smiled and apologized and explained that I didn’t realize I couldn’t have them on. She looked me deep in the eyes and said in an incredibly mean, condescending voice: “This is not a joke,” turned on her heal and stormed away. What? We didn’t know how to respond other than completely laugh at her. I mean it wasn’t like I was fucking around or anything… psh. I hate her… (I got in trouble again when we were landing, heh. Whoops.)

The flight was about 1 ½ hours. It went fine. I mostly slept.

We landed in Madrid around 1:00 and didn’t arrive at our hostel until 5:00… We were lost for FOUR hours! First we got lost in the airport. THEN we got lost in on the metro (and ended up in a region where NO ONE spoke English and Marilena got hit on by an entire restaurant full of guys). Then we got lost on the metro AGAIN. Then we tried to WALK to our hostel but our bags by then felt like they had multiplied in weight. So at last we gave in and got a cab and arrived at Hostel Nuria 5 minutes later.

Madrid is beautiful.

Hostel Nuria (which we referred to all weekend long as Narnia) was interesting and very hostel-esque. Our room had three beds, a sink, and a shower. Yea, it took Marilena about 10 minutes to realize we were missing something kinda important: a toilet? Turns out it was a community toilet in a midge closet down the hall… ehhh…

After getting settled as best we could and taking showers in our midge shower without flooding our entire bedroom, we headed out for the evening. Our night began with a quick trip to STARBUCKS! There are a million Starbucks’ here… it was one of the best/most expensive tall, iced, non-fat, chai tea, lattes I’ve ever had!

The part of Madrid we were staying in remind me a lot of 5th Avenue in New York. TONS of shopping and TONS of people all hurrying to get someplace. Our first stop? H&M! God, I love that store and can’t help but buy numerous things whenever I go there. I swear though that everything I bought was totally necessary! :)

We dropped off our loot at Narnia around 9:30ish and headed out again in search of edible Spanish food and Sangria. We walked for about an hour and found no good restaurants but we DID run into Alexa, Maggie, and Sam who were staying in a hotel nearby Narnia. The six of us ate at Zahara’s (the Spanish version of Coco’s). After three jugs of Sangria, and after being shushed by people eating in the restaurant next to us, we went on a search for a fun pub.

In Plaza Del Sol we made friends with some guys from Berlin (that were all wearing the same shirt). They taught us a few German cuss words then the group of us trekked to a bar called Dubliners – super American… but awesome. Haha, I even ran into my friend Jamie from high school who was studying in Madrid. Small world…

It was a debauchery of dancing, drinking, smoking, Sexy Back, pictures, German boys, etc. Towards the end of the evening Marilena and Kate both disappeared outside and by the time I joined up with them I found them both texting ex-boyfriends. Ehhh, I really hoped that it wasn’t going to be like this everyday! I’m not really okay with wasting time, money, or tears even from calls and texts from them while I’m in SPAIN! Wait, what Kate?? WHO did you text? Perritos Calientes?

After getting completely lost on the way back to Narnia (you guys should have listened to meeee cuz I really did know where I was going) and NOT eating chocolate covered churros we finally passed out. Woo, fabulous first day; we love Madrid!

Quotes of the Day:
“Whenever I say ‘gracias’ with a lisp I feel like a homosexual male.”
“Fichen Fic, ya!”
“Maybe this place was built before electricity was invented?”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home