Thursday, December 07, 2006

Art Show and Interlaken

Oh, did I mention that i’m in an art show today? Three of my prints are on display in the SUF student art show today in the painting studio in Piazza Donatello. Ha, whoops. I guess a lot of stuff has been going on and it totally slipped my mind. I had my first art show over the summer and I spent most of the summer slaving away over my two paintings in it; I think the fact that I worked so hard on my pieces was the reason why I was so excited for that show.

For this show, I admit, I’m not that excited. Firstly, I don’t really like printmaking that much. It’s a cool art-form and I’m really glad that I got to learn about and experience it first hand BUT I think it’s a little bit out dated. I don’t like it half as much as painting; there are a lot of variables in printmaking and I always feel like I don’t have total control over how the final image turns out.

My first image is a plexi-glass dry-point of the leaning tower of Pisa, the second is a zinc etch of a lifeguard tower and the Manhattan Beach pier, and my third print (that I finished yesterday) is a zinc etch of a picture of Marilena, Kate, Amelia, and I that I took on Halloween in Barcelona; I like the third one the best. It bothers me that my images aren’t perfect. They def are a good display of the printmaking learning process and you can see through all the pieces that I get more and more used to the technique with more experience. However, I hate that it’s a show about “improvement” rather than “look at how freaking good I am at this!” Ifthatmakessense…?

Anyways, I wasn’t even planning on going but Susana, Marilena, and Laura convinced me that I should (I’m a sucker for other people that are excited about my art). It starts two hours before the bus leaves for Interlaken sooooo I GUESS it won’t hurt to stop by for a second to check it out. Now that I think about it, it’s going to be cool to see what everyone else has been working on all semester long.

My mom called me yesterday evening to tell me that she missed me. :) Usually I’m the one to call people at home cuz I’m the one missing them; it felt good to be the one being missed this time. I MISS YOU TOO MAMA AND I WISH WE COULD HAVE GONE CHRISTMAS SHOPPING TOGETHER!

Bytheway, I’ll be home in two weeks… crazy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home