Tuesday, December 12, 2006

a ruckus at Balmer's

Dec 8
I woke up this morning around 7AM to Navid going in and out of the room about 20 times. One of the activities that the program puts on in skydiving and he and Chris were both scheduled to jump that morning. I was in no mood to be awake at 7AM considering that I had just fallen asleep only a few hours before. When they came back a little bit later we were all still in bed sleeping. Unfortunately skydiving for that day was cancelled because there was too much wind.

I have no desire to ever go skydiving. It’s not that I’m too scared or anything, but honestly it just doesn’t sound that something that cool to do and to be honest I’m not that impressed by people that do/have done it. AND it costs a ton of money…??? I really don’t get it. I gues the adrenaline rush would be cool but honestly? Go run a mile and you’ll get the same feeling. I didn’t argue with anyone that wanted to do it; I mean it’s THEIR $400 afterall.

After showering in the sketchy water-fountain-esque shower and brushing my teeth in the traugh-like sink the girls and I headed towards downtown Interlaken. The city of Interlaken itself was tiny but really beautiful and German-mountain-village looking. I loved it. We hit every souvenir store that existed in that town. Unfortunatly, a lot of places were closed because December 8 is a big holiday for Europeans (the Immaculate Conception) but it was fine.

Swiss people are not very nice. Natalie got yelled at in the first bar we went to for some coffee. Then a few stores later we were all yelled at again. Ehhh, whoooaa everyone, calm down! Jeez. I didn’t end up buying anything except some chocolate from a really awesome chocolate store. Whaaaat?!? C’mon, the Swiss are famous for their chocolate, beer, knives, weird hats, yodlers, and cookoo clocks and it only made sense to purchase one or two of the things on that list!

There was no snow in Interlaken. The air was cold and we were bundled up with scarves and gloves but there was no sign of snow (except on top of all the really tall mountains that surrounded the town). Our plan for the next day was to go snowboarding and unfortunately the nearest resort that would prolly be open was a good three hour drive away! Ugh.

After walking around for 30 minutes trying to find a non-Italian restaurant, we grabbed some sandwiches and each bought two different, really pretty cans, of beers and headed back to the hostel. We sat on the comfy couches in the living-room area of it and kicked back for a while. Have I mentioned that our hostel was awesome? Rick described it as “the place to go if you’re missing your frat house at home.” It had a TV room, pool tables, ping-pong tables, a comfy living room, a dining room with cheap (but not too bad) food, a souvenir store, AND a really cool bar/discotek that everyone in the city goes to at night! Sooo maybe my parents wouldn’t like it so much, but we loved it!

The plan after lunch was to go ice skating at the rink down the street but by the time we were done defrosting and eating the session was already over. Instead we popped in High Fidelity and spaced out with our second beers and Toblerone’s.

Part way through the movie we headed next door to the snowboard/ski rental place and rented boards and boots for snowboarding the next day. Yay! I WAS SO FREAKING EXCITED TO GO SNOWBOARDING! AND this was the thing I got for free sooo it felt doubly as good to be able to go riding for a day paying nothing when everyone else had to pay 220 euro.

Then the drinking began. Our hostel conveniently had TWO happy hours so of course we were at both of them! The first happy hour began at 5:00. To pass the three hours before our fondue dinner reservations we pushed two tables together, all bought two beers each, and layed some playing cards out for a good old fashioned game of Kings. I don’t even remember the last time I played Kings because it was so long ago. God I love that game. We had about 12 people around the table playing too, which made it even better.

At dinner the drinking continued with an unlimited pitcher of wine. A pot of cheese fondue and several pitchers later the conversation turned serious. Adam, the most fabulous gay boy I have ever known that I love love love so much, sat with us and answered all of our questions about homosexuality that we’ve all had in our brains but always lacked an appropriate person to ask. I’m not kidding when I say that I’ve never met anyone like Adam. He is the most secure, comfortable in his own skin, guy that I know.

Eventually after dinner we headed down to Metro (the bar in Balmer’s) and danced until it was time to go to sleep. Dancing is still probably one of my favorite things to do in life. I could dance all day and night if I possible.

Half way through the evening I wanted to go out to get some air annnddd to my surprise, IT WAS SNOWING! I was so excited because that meant that snowboarding the next day was going to be fabulous.

Our entire room was in bed by midnight. Hahaha. I guess it had been a long evening since it started at 5:00 happy hour ANNND we were all going snowboarding the next day and didn’t want to feel tired and dead for it so it only made sense. I slept reaaaallyy well. I wasn’t even THAT drunk either. Based on the wide-range of snoring in our room that night though I’d say that majority of the room was pretty out of it. Navid tried to convince me that I was one of the snorers since he was sleeping next to me but I’m sure that (for once) it wasn’t me. Psh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home